Imagine the lamp’s light of your bedroom is providing an ultra-high speed wireless network with illumination! Yes, with Li-Fi (Light Fidelity) it is very much possible. If you are frustrated with your slow Wi-Fi connection, you might be one of the people who are looking for the commercialisation of Li-Fi, which can provide up to 100× faster network than Wi-Fi.
What is LiFi?
Li-Fi is a high-speed wireless network technology which uses the LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) as visible light transmitters using VLC (Visible Light Communication) system. In short, Li-Fi works as the Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) using visible light as the carrier instead of Radio Frequency (RF) to transmit data.
As the figure displaying:
-The LED driver is connected with the internet; it has embedded signal processing technology.
-The LEDs are streaming the data through visible light.
-The VLC driver works by switching the current to the LEDs off and on at a very high rate; it is too quick to be noticed by the human eye.
-The photo detector on the other hand working as a transducer; receiving and converting the light into electrical signal.
-There is a processor to amplify the amplitude, decode and decrypt the data in the Li-Fi dongle.
-The Li-Fi dongle can be connected with your laptop, mobile or any such device.
Advantages of LiFi over WiFi?
- Li-Fi uses visible light, whereas Wi-Fi uses the radio wave. That’s why Li-Fi is extremely useful in such areas which are sensitive to electromagnetic signal. Such as, nuclear power plants, weapon manufacturing plants, aircraft, hospitals etc.
- Wi-Fi has a limited spectrum capacity, whereas the Li-Fi has almost no limitation on capacity.
- The visible light spectrum is 10,000 times larger than the entire RF (Radio Frequency) spectrum.
- The Wi-Fi can provide maximum net data rate from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s, whereas the Li-Fi can provide over 224Gbit/s (tasted).
- Though Wi-Fi RF can penetrate the wall and provides a wide range of network coverage, nevertheless it is less secure than the Li-Fi signal which cannot penetrate into the wall and giving a very secure internet.
- Li-Fi doesn’t have any inference issue as Wi-Fi has.
- RF has some bad effects on human health, but visible light doesn’t have any effect on human body.
Disadvantages of Li-Fi
- Li-Fi has a shorter range than Wi-Fi, coverage is limited under the walls.
- Li-Fi installation cost is very high, though the maintenance cost is very less.
- It is not as reliable as Wi-Fi.
- Li-Fi is not as portable as Wi-Fi.
OLEDCOMM and pureLiFi are the world leaders in Li-Fi products which includes Li-Fi routers, Li-Fi hubs, LED drivers, LED lamps and complete kit for lighting system.
Also Casio, Panasonic have a wide range of Li-Fi devices.
Aslo read, what is 5G?